7.03.2009

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY


Hope you have a wonderful time this Fourth of July!
Stay tuned for Monday we have new news!

Most American children know "Yankee Doodle" before they reach school and yet somehow over a decade later most of those same children can't sing more than the chorus (or have any idea what the song is about). Well, this Fourth of July- do not let a song get stuck in your head for hours on end without proper backup....

Here for you singing pleasure is the ENTIRE song-
did you have any idea it was sooooooo long....(we didn't either!)

Yankee Doodle

Father and I went down to camp
Along with Captain Gooding
And there we saw the men and boys
As thick as hasty pudding.

Chorus
Yankee doodle, keep it up

Yankee doodle dandy
Mind the music and the step

And with the girls be handy.

There was Captain Washington
Upon a slapping stallion
A-giving orders to his men

I guess there was a million.

Chorus

And then the feathers on his hat
They looked so' tarnal fin-a
I wanted pockily to get

To give to my Jemima.

Chorus

And then we saw a swamping gun
Large as a log of maple
Upon a deuced little cart
A load for father's cattle.

Chorus

And every time they shoot it off
It takes a horn of powder
It makes a noise like father's gun
Only a nation louder.

Chorus

I went as nigh to one myself
As' Siah's underpinning
And father went as nigh agin
I thought the deuce was in him.
We saw a little barrel, too
The heads were made of leather

They knocked upon it with little clubs
And called the folks together.

Chorus

And there they'd fife away like fun
And play on cornstalk fiddles
And some had ribbons red as blood

All bound around their middles.
The troopers, too, would gallop up
And fire right in our faces
It scared me almost to death
To see them run such races.


Chorus

Uncle Sam came there to change

Some pancakes and some onions
For' lasses cake to carry home
To give his wife and young ones.

Chorus
This Bald Eagle is from Fiesta Toys.

But I can't tell half I see
They kept up such a smother
So I took my hat off, made a bow
And scampered home to mother.

Chorus


Cousin Simon grew so bold
I thought he would have cocked it
It scared me so I streaked it off

And hung by father's pocket.

Chorus

And there I saw a pumpkin shell
As big as mother's basin
And every time they touched it off
They scampered like the nation.


Other Verses:

And there was Captain Washington,
With gentlefolks about him,
They say he's gown so 'tarnal proud
He will not ride without them.

Chorus

There came Gen'ral Washington
Upon a snow-white charger
He looked as big as all outdoors
And thought that he was larger.
Lyrics from http://www.contemplator.com

If you want some music to back you up try this. . .
Yankee Doodle Tune
Beware- it will get stuck in your head and it will be very hard to dislodge!
photos are from BostonHarborfest.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails