8.10.2010

Take me out to the ball game.

Every family has its lore.  in our family it's a story of how a young man in overalls and work boots went to play ball.   Here's how the story is told:
 The year was 1945-if we have this part wrong someone will surely set us straight, but you know how these stories go....
My Grandpa, Clarence,  lived on a farm in the middle of North Dakota- five miles off the last paved road! (Really you can see the middle of nowhere from my grandparent's porch) The work week was spent in the fields and tending to the livestock.  It was unyielding work.  But on Sundays- Sundays they rested.  They had picnics and the city cousins would come out and play catch.  My Grandpa looked forward to this the whole week.  On Sundays he'd pass the ball back and forth with his cousin Wes.  Wes and his brother played for the farm teams that were in the surrounding areas.  These farm teams were like the minor league teams of today.  Players were paid a small salary and major league teams fished through them for talent.  Well, one day Wes' pitcher was sick or hurt or drunk- I never remember why he wasn't there and I'm not sure it even matters to the story.  The important part is that the team needed a pitcher and FAST!  There was a double header.  That Wes was a quick thinker.  Off he dashed to that rural farmstead to grab Clarence.  When Wes found him, he was in the middle of morning chores. In overalls and work boots.  Wes grabbed him and they were off.  It would be pretty fun to know what that conversation went like.  If I were better at dialogue I would try to recreate it but what you come up with will be better.  Anyway they were off.  When they got to the field, Wes pulled Clarence out to the mound with his overalls and boots still on.  He slapped a mitt in Clarence's hand and told him that this was just going to be like a game of catch on Sunday.  He winked and then pulled his mask down and headed behind the plate.  The story goes they won their double header. I like to say that he pitched a perfect game, but that's probably hyperbole.  My Grandfather went on to pitch for a variety of farm teams in the area and even tried out for the Cubs!  Obviously, I never knew my Grandfather in his pitching days and my knowledge of his talent comes from tales and these pictures my Grandmother took (which is another great story but for another time!)
All I know is that he was my favorite person for such a long time and I miss him and his laugh very much! 



This 1908 recording of Edward Meeker singing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" can really get you in the mood!
Here are the lyrics so you can sing along.

Katie Casey was base ball mad.
Had the fever and had it bad;
Just to root for the home town crew,
Ev'ry sou Katie blew.
On a Saturday, her young beau
Called to see if she'd like to go,
To see a show but Miss Kate said,
"No, I'll tell you what you can do."
"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."
Katie Casey saw all the games,
Knew the players by their first names;
Told the umpire he was wrong,
All along good and strong.
When the score was just two to two,
Katie Casey knew what to do,
Just to cheer up the boys she knew,
She made the gang sing this song:
"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
 
At the old ball game."
Lyrics by Jack Norworth
Melody by Albert Von Tilzer

To have a little Summertime fun yourself, swing by Etsy and grab yourself a:
Lemon Ball brings back the game of Summer in full vintage form!
These baseballs are made the old fashioned way: handmade and leather.  They're the perfect gift for the boys in your life.  What's more?  They even make a handcrafted leather football- ideal for a game this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails